Grzeca Law Group s.c. - Immigration Lawyer
Milwaukee | Madison
Appleton | Green Bay
Corporate Immigration:FAQs:General FAQs:Social Security Numbers

Social Security Numbers

Q: While I am in the U.S. on a work-authorized visa, can my spouse and child(ren) apply for social security numbers?

A: It depends. If spouses or children are eligible for work authorization, they can likely obtain a social security number. Otherwise, they may only be eligible to obtain Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers. Grzeca Law Group is happy to advise on the proper procedure for individual matters.

Q: I am a permanent resident, how do I get a social security number?

A: U.S. permanent residents are eligible to apply for a social security number and card at a local Social Security office.  To locate the nearest office, please call 1-800-772-1213 or visit

Applicants must prove their identity as well as eligibility for a social security number when completing a short application.  A card should be received within 2 weeks of submitting an application if the office does not need to verify any documents presented.

Q: How do I get a social security number for my dependent to list on my taxes?

A: In order to claim a family member who is not eligible to apply for a social security number as a dependent, an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) may need to be obtained. For more information about ITINs, please visit:,,id=96287,00.html.

Website Developed by: Smart Interactive Media