Grzeca Law Group s.c. - Immigration Lawyer
Milwaukee | Madison
Appleton | Green Bay
Corporate Immigration:Temporary Visas:Employee and Business Visitors:F-1 and OPT

F-1 and OPT

Many foreign nationals enter the U.S. in F-1 status, which allows an individual to study at a college or university. Upon completion of their studies, many of these foreign nationals are granted Optional Practical Training (OPT) for a period of one year (or up to 27 months if their degree is in a STEM (science, technology, engineering or math) field, which allows them to gain work experience in their field of study. Once approved for OPT by their college or university, these individuals must apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), and receive it, prior to beginning their OPT employment. Upon completion of their OPT, many foreign nationals prefer to remain in the U.S. in order to continue gaining experience and knowledge. Most of these individuals make the logical progression toward H-1B classification. However, due to the numerical cap on H-1B visas, prior planning by both the foreign national and their employer is necessary in order to apply for H-1B classification. If you would like more information regarding options after OPT, please contact our office.

Website Developed by: Smart Interactive Media