Grzeca Law Group s.c. - Immigration Lawyer
Milwaukee | Madison
Appleton | Green Bay
Corporate Immigration:Permanent Visas:After You Get Your Green Card:Reentry Permit / Maintaining Permanent Residence

Maintaining Permanent Residence / Reentry Permit

In order to maintain status as a U.S. Permanent Resident, certain rules govern any periods of absence from the U.S. A valid Permanent Resident Card ("green card") is sufficient documentation to re-enter the U.S. after any temporary trips abroad, provided that the absence from the U.S. is less than one year. For absences greater than one year, certain steps must be taken prior to leaving the U.S. in order to ensure that status is preserved and secure re-entry. These include applying for a Reentry Permit with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) while in the U.S., as well as taking steps to demonstrate that there is no intention to abandon U.S. residence.

Due to recent changes in the Reentry Permit issuance procedure, upon receipt of the Reentry Permit application, CIS issues a Notice instructing the applicant to appear for a Biometrics/fingerprinting appointment at a CIS office in the U.S. Although applicants may request to reschedule this appointment, they are not permitted to select the new date and time. Ultimately, applicants will be required to return to the U.S. to complete the Biometrics prior to issuance of the Reentry Permit.

If you are a permanent resident or an employer planning to transfer a permanent resident outside the U.S., please contact our office well in advance of any prolonged trips so we may assist in applying for a Reentry Permit and any required Biometrics appointments prior to departure. In addition, we would be happy to counsel on other subjective factors that the government may consider when determining whether an individual intends to maintain U.S. permanent resident status.

Permanent Residence FAQs

Website Developed by: Smart Interactive Media