Grzeca Law Group s.c. - Immigration Lawyer
Milwaukee | Madison
Appleton | Green Bay
Family Immigration:Permanent Visas

Permanent Visas and Adjustment of Status

An adjustment of status application (AOS), sometimes called a "green card" application, is the process of changing a foreign national's immigration status to that of a legal permanent resident. The U.S. provides noncitizens the opportunity to obtain permanent resident status through several types of sponsorship.

Foreign nationals who have been admitted into the U.S. and meet one of the following qualification criteria are eligible to file an AOS application:

AOS application through a family member:

  • The spouse, child, unmarried son or daughter over age 21, married son or daughter, parent, or brother/sister of a U.S. citizen who has an approved I-130 petition and the priority date, if needed, is current.
  • The spouse, unmarried son or daughter of any age of a green card holder who has a family based visa petition approved in their behalf and a current priority date.

Employment based green card applications:

  • An immigrant who has an approved visa petition filed on their behalf by a U.S. employer.

Other eligibility categories:

  • Asylees or refugees who have been in the U.S. for one year and still qualify for asylum or refugee status.
  • Individuals in T or U non-immigrant status for three (3) years.
  • Cuban citizens or natives who have been in the U.S. for at least a year after being inspected, admitted, or paroled into the U.S.
  • A continuous resident of the U.S. since before January 1, 1972.
  • Individuals who received notice from the Department of State that they have won a visa in the Diversity Visa lottery.

Some foreign nationals who entered the U.S. without inspection are eligible to apply for AOS if either an I-130 petition or a labor certification was filed on or before April 30, 2001, and the foreign national, in some instances, can show that s/he was present in the U.S. on or before December 20, 2000. Those foreign nationals who entered without inspection and are not eligible to apply for AOS are required to process their immigrant visa application through Consular Processing in their home country.

Grzeca Law Group's team of professionals works one-on-one with individuals seeking permanent resident status, guiding them through the application process and ensuring they fully understand each step along the way. Contact Grzeca Law Group and begin the process of applying for your immigrant visa application.

Website Developed by: Smart Interactive Media